Wednesday 21 September 2011

Im' tired now!!


I'm back. And keeping up with my promise to write more about my family's search for the "perfect" husband for me, here I am, penning down my thoughts about men, their appalling similarity with each other and the consequent repugnance they evoke with their oh-so-predictable behaviour. 

In short, this is a rant about my seemingly never-ending misadventures with men in general and with prospective grooms in particular.

I hate to say that despite repeated disasters, I always get emotionally blackmailed into "getting to know" yet another man!

Ok... so, this time again one of the matrimony sites proved to be my undoing.

With "proposals" pouring in by hundreds everyday (through the site), my overwhelmed parents generally remain busy, sorting them out in an attempt to find my Prince Charming. And Sundays are exclusively meant to "talk" to the prospective son-in-law.

But looking at the past experiences and considering the legions of tantrums they have had to suffer at their princess' hands, my folks have now given the reins in my hands. Contact numbers of course, are passed on by my doting mum-dad, who painstakingly zero in on "3-4 boys" on a daily basis for me to consider.

So, one such "groom material" was recently pitched against me. His well-to-do family background, well-educated status, chocolaty good looks were his qualifications. However, the fact that he was an Army man was the only factor that made me talk to him when he called.

The guy in question was undoubtedly well-educated but somehow, after a few minutes of conversation, I realised that he was too idealistic and even lacked the officer-like qualities that have always attracted me towards the Men in Green.

He wanted a girl who would love him unconditionally, do anything and everything for him - like washing his clothes, preparing his meals, dressing up according to his wishes, smiling for him, crying for him, waiting upon him to return from office, loving his parents, giving up on her career for him, bearing and bringing up his children and so on.

What would he do for her, I asked, leading to an uncomfortable silence. "I will be her loving husband, her benign God, what else would she want?" he retorted. 

Completely put off by his nauseating, hypocritical blabber, I felt like shutting him up, but not without a piece of my mind. However, I practiced restraint - because I was waiting for his ugliest side to come forth before I unleashed my venom against his disgustingly sick relationship theory. 

He went on and on about how he was looking for a "pure" soul to be his partner in HIS life (mind the caps). Within seconds, he was elaborating upon the importance of "physical purity" for him. He wanted a "chaste" wife because virginity, for him, was a woman's virtue upon which only her husband had the right.

Was he a virgin? Expectedly, he laughed, reasoning that "men will be men", giving me reason enough to abhor him even more.

What more, the shameless ass went on to question me if I ever had any love link-ups and without caring for a reply, he said, in a threatening tone, that he would anyway find out about my past and present from his "sources". 

Needless to say, I could not continue to take his nonsense and banged the phone after an earful on his filthy-pig mentality. 

The episode left me completely put off from men.

However, like always I again bowed down in front of parent power. So, next Sunday was another man's turn. Now this one seemed to be a techie ‘cz instead of phone, he expressed his desire to interact on chat. Or perhaps, he had just too many girls to talk to and chat was a less complicated form of interaction.

Now this one was completely smitten by his own dreams and aspirations and would do anything to achieve them. I liked him for his determination and clarity of thoughts. Soon I realised that he too was like his previous competitor, a self-obsessed man. Hurriedly, I took leave and immediately blocked him from my gtalk, lest things complicate themselves yet again and my hatred comes forth one more time.

After my not-so-pleasant rendezvous with the male ego in all its glory, I had decided not to talk to anymore "prospective grooms". But destiny just loves to kill all my plans in the weirdest of ways.

Soon I had a caller wanting to know me since he had seen my profile on the goddamn matrimonial website. Disinterested, I talked to him for a few minutes without really caring to ask him anything. He hung up with a hope to hear from me.

Not keen on knowing any man now, I moved on with my life until one day, the guy called up again, after about a month. He was polite and sounded interesting this time round. And did not mind me not calling him back or having lost his number.

The conversation lasted an hour, with both him and I sharing a lot about our respective lives with each other. He seemed nice, mature, decent, suave and I assured to be in touch. Soon, the conversations got longer and more issues about life, professional and social, were being shared. 

Things seemed to be going at a pleasantly comfortable pace, iced with promises to meet soon, when I decided to update him about the other proposals that my parents had been considering looking into. This is when his true colours were revealed. He was shocked though managed to hold back his reaction. He was feeling suffocated with the "pressure" despite being clearly informed that no talks were on as yet between my family and that of any other boy's and if any, then he would be the first one we would like to meet.

He complained that amid all the amicable talks and smooth going, he was beginning to feel good. But with this one lil piece of information, his "fairy tale" castle had come crumbling down and his worst fears were coming true.

Now what that meant, I neither know, nor want to know. But something inside me has shriveled up and I no more want to talk to him. In fact, I do not wish to talk to any more men now.

I wonder if this is what her family's groom-hunting exercise does to every girl or am I different?




No comments:

Post a Comment