Monday 24 October 2011

Of Dreams, The Dead and Death...

I dream... dream a lot, of The Dead… Dead Relatives, to be precise! Those who I have seen while they were alive and even those who I have not seen, just heard of. And I don't just see Dead. They talk to me, laugh with me, cry with me and worry for me! Yes, that is a fact! 

The most frequent visitors to my dream world are my paternal grandfather and grandmother, both of whom we lost years ago. While it has been nearly 24 years that my grandpa left us, my grandma has been gone for over a decade now.

Others who come calling in my sleep include my maternal grandmother, my dad's grandmother and uncle (who I had never seen in my lifetime), my own cousin, my mom's uncle and aunt and sundry other relatives. 

The most amazing part is that once I wake up, I am able to paint a vivid word picture of the exact sequences of events and even the people I saw in my dream, including the Dead that I had never seen in my life. 

I have, on more than one occasions, seen my dad's uncle in my dreams. He had died long before I was born and we do not even possess any picture of him. Next morning, I could describe clearly, his body type, his hair, skin colour, the kind and colour of clothes and footwear he was wearing. That dad was shocked beyond words, is an understatement. 

This is just one incident. There are dozens of the kind. The most common, rather recurring dream perhaps is wherein my grandmom is smiling, laughing and joking around amid a crowd of relatives and friends gathered to celebrate a happy occasion, which seems to be a wedding. But I'm never able to tell clearly what occasion it is. Some people say my grandma, from up above somewhere, is eager to see me married, hence the dream. But I disagree. Because she was once celebrating my dad's wedding even as my mom looked on, amused. 

In another one, I saw my cousin (who we lost 3 years ago) celebrating my engagement ceremony with his friend. That he had suggested his friend as a prospective groom for me, might have a link here but I'm not sure.

I even had a dream of a family celebration (wedding perhaps) wherein I was told that my grandfather had come back to the earth just to be able to be with me for a day. The fact that I miss him like hell and wish to spend some time with him, definitely has a connection with this one, because he passed away when I was too young and I almost have nil memories of him! Once, on a dreadfully gloomy night, grandpa had come again in my dream. He was sad too, just like me and asked me to smile, sing, laugh and be happy because he could not see me like that. Next morning was a lot better and I smiled for him but could feel his pain which I had given him by being so sad and depressed.

At times, I see my maternal granny as a ghost, trying to scare my sister and me. This might have a connection with my childhood days when granny used to scare us about a ghost coming to eat us (sister and me) both if we did not drink our cuppa hot milk!

And the list of such dreams just goes on. They have become a regular feature in my life. And they leave me disturbed for days, weeks, months together.

But hey! The scariest part is yet to come. The Dead, at times, even predict deaths in my dreams! Scared!?! Well, I have been trying hard to find a word scarier than "scared" for long now because "scared" does not aptly express the horror that I feel when I sit down to analyze my dreams.

My grandfather once came in my dream and told me that he will come on a particular day to take my granny along, since he had been feeling lonely. I mentioned this dream to my parents who did not take it too seriously. But to our astonishment and utter shock, my granny passed away just around the time my grand-dad had mentioned in my dream. That was the first time such a thing ever happened with me and I was completely shaken. 

Well, this is just a part of my plight. My real beef is being able to foresee deaths - of people I know and even of those I do not have the remotest of connections with.

I saw in my dream and pronounced the death of my maternal aunt's mother-in-law and she died exactly on the day I had "predicted". I could foresee the death of my grandfather's closest friend and cousin - my Chhote Dadaji, as I fondly addressed him. I had also felt and expressed in hushed tones, to my dad, my fear of having sensed the death of my paternal aunt's father. He, too, passed away into eternity on the day I had seen. 

However, it was the legendary Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw's death that shocked me the most. He had no relation to me whatsoever but it was at least a month prior to his death that I could see the D-Day and that too, not in any dream, but in awakened reality. I shared the information with a friend who asked me to relax, citing probable incidents that might have provoked the thoughts of the greatest Indian soldier of all times. But when the news of FM Manekshaw's death came, my friend and I were shaken beyond words. From dreams, the predictions had spilled over to waking hours!! 

I was stunned, and still am!! Even scared of sharing my thoughts with people around me.





P.S: This post has been penned after fellow blogger and dear friend Manju insisted that I do so. Manju feels that my blog buddies and other bloggers might be able to comprehend the situation and suggest ways to deal with the trauma that these dreams bring along. She also feels I should see a psychotherapist...I really dunno!! 


 

13 comments:

  1. Wel.. Al dreams have a meaning.. Some say its the sub conscious mind gaining power and projecting things we wld have heard casually and never paid attention.. Might be that the occurrence appearance and incidents in your is that.. But death part comes as a strong part of what I believe.. That dreams are nothin but a channel through which our brain connects to some meta physical state.. Its too complex.. There are 2 ways of getting off this according to me. 1 is to try and ignore it. Never acknowledge anything as a part of what you saw even if its true.. Lack of importance the brain provides indicates the sub conscious to let them go.
    2. Is trying and recollect pleasant thoughts about yourself.. All the time especially before sleep..!! Should clear up for related dreams rather than absurd ones.

    What I see and believe is complex.. I ve my own way out to. I can understand what you are goin through... But don't worry you'll be fine. Jus try and relax before you go to bed :):)

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Superrrnickkk...thnx buddy for taking time out n reading one of my most disturbing posts in the recent times!!
    well...iv tried everything...from ignoring to trying to forget to feeling pleasant to meditating to god knows what!! nuthng has helped so far!! I guess it has something to do with the vacuum that I have felt in my life ever since I lost my grandpa...esp bcz I can't really recall the times spent with him...and also the fact that I have always wished I could have spent some days with him as a child grown up enough to retain memories!!
    n i agree with u. dreamz r extremely powerful..wich is why I want to know what my dreams mean!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.. Might sound strange.. But Google it.. You may find things to help you out.. I feel the thing that you can't recall much time with your grandpa is triggering it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried even that :P
    n I totally agree with u...no memories of grandpa n a strong urge to be with him seems to be the trigger!!!
    I just pray that I see no more of deaths in my dreams/ waking hours...its killing I swear!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... I understand your plight chikki... I ve been through some quiet disturbing dreams myself too.. N when they happen, its a bad feelin... Snakes.. I see them more often these days.. Or indirect death n all... Lousy feelin it is in the mornin.. But i try to focus less on them during day.. T help to a certain extent

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree!! snakes in dreams, too, are said to have a strong significance!! hope and sincerely wish that u see no more of these disturbing dreams!!
    thnx buddy and take care :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. shoosh! I typed a long comment and the page crashed.

    Chikki, I can understand your plight. I get nightmares too however I never see the clear picture like you do. Predicting someone's death is a scary thought, you would want it to be not true but it happens. May be you have an awakened sixth sense. Perhaps try meditating...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey BB...you are lucky that you don't get to see the clear picture in your nighmares!!
    and yes, it's scary, to say the least!! tried meditating as well... but the problem is just getting worse with years... from dreams to deadly dreams to "dead" sense in waking hours...it's driving me crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a creepy post! You are right sometimes the coming events cast their shadows before.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rahul...yeah it's creepy for sure!! But this is a fact I've been living with!!!
    thanks for taking time out to read the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally.....u shared it with us....makes u feel lighter i guess...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @supernickkkkkk- I see snakes too...a lot of them...in a house...i dont know if it belonged to me...a different place....and sometimes i get dreams of water and electricity, same dreams again and again...but that was long back wen i used to be mentally disturbed and exhausted to such an extent...that i cannot even explain...

    ReplyDelete
  13. 3 different stories
    A.
    I have heard of a person who would recollect an "out of touch" friend or relative, call them up, And the friend/relative would break the news of getting married. Is it dream? was it instinct? What do we call this, true friendship bond?

    B.
    And another person xyz I know, would call up a relative just days before the person is about to die. So now is this person xyz a bad omen?

    C.
    And in one of blogs, a nurse reported about a cat in an old-age house, that would go sit beside an aged person when that old persons death has neared. Is that a bad omen? The dying person nurse reported, was happy. Everyone in that old-age house was very happy with the cat, because it hinted who needs attention...

    Snake dreams are common. Make peace with it. Predicting the future, there are many explanations to how this is possible. Many would step ahead and want to share, give tip on how to sharpen this ability. But hanging on that advice, trying to find meaning from every dream, is futile, it simply makes us dependent on knowing the future before taking a step ahead.

    Some dreams are best not shared, just like something are best when they remain unsaid!

    Make peace with it. Empty your mind from pressing issues of day, before sleep, praying aka meditating all these helps most...

    /A M.S (AnonuMouS)

    ReplyDelete